Terry Lambert <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> writes:

> "Gary W. Swearingen" wrote:
> > Anybody know any languages that allow compile-time (and/or link-time)
> > computations using (most of?) the same language?  I've often desired the
> > feature.  (I suppose some preprocessor like m4 could handle some of it.)
>
> LISP.  Forth.  Smalltalk.  Prolog.  BASIC.  Oh yeah... Java.

Can any of those execute or interpret some code and then compile the
results of that into a non-interpreted executable?  That's what I had
desired, if it wasn't clear before.  Otherwise, you're still doing the
special computations at run time, only slower.

Maybe I HAVE heard of some interpreters (Python?) saving an excecutable
image of themselves after running a while.  Is that what you're thinking
of?  Will all of those language systems above do that?  It's not quite
what I was thinking of, but I guess it meets my (poor) specifications.