Robert, it's really, really simple.  For new installs, install the new, more
secure behavior.  Be sure to loudly document this behavior so that those of
us who expect the _old_ behavior don't get bitten by the change.  And don't
change the old behavior in upgrades of existing systems.  As I said in my
other email, if you _must_ change the defaults, add overrides so the behavior
doesn't change.  And by "add overrides" I mean something like an
/etc/rc.conf.override file that gets pulled in after /etc/defaults/rc.conf
but before /etc/rc.conf.

(This says nothing about the necessity or desirability of the change itself,
by the way.  That's an entirely _different_ argument.)

When you change defaults on a running system, you piss off a lot of users.
Including me. :-)
--
Frank Mayhar [EMAIL PROTECTED]     http://www.exit.com/
Exit Consulting                 http://www.gpsclock.com/