Adrian Filipi-Martin wrote:
> On Sat, 18 May 2002, Terry Lambert wrote:
> > "Karsten W. Rohrbach" wrote:
> > > Brandon D. Valentine([EMAIL PROTECTED])@2002.05.17 14:48:07 +0000:

> > > if you read the license _correctly_, you'd just distribute a patch, and
> > > that's perfectly okay. so, what about to do with your soul and first born
> > > child now? ;-)
> >
> > Spend them maintaining the patch, when DJB fails to integrate the
> > patch into the main line source for qmail?
>
>         Sounds like an ideal use of the ports system.  The qmail port
> already has several patches, so the incremental effort may not be too bad.

>From personal experience, I can tell you that maintaining a
large patch set against a source base that does not integrate
your changes is exponentially difficult, with the base for
the exponent being relative to the rate of change of the code
against which the patches were taken.

The primary reason NetBSD started (IMO) was to get around
exactly this bottleneck with the patchkit system... though I
would have to say that there were some control issues involved
as well (mostly, it was a manual tsort for each new patch, and
the attempts to provide patches in the same format were doomed
to failure because of this).

If you have a dependency on any other qmail patches for your
installation, well, then you are exponentially screwed.  8-).

The problem is that as you maintain your patches, and the patch
vendor maintains their patches, and DJB maintains his code, you
end up with network effects.

The reason I wrote the original patchkit in the first place was
because we had this sort of thing going on against 386BSD 0.1,
and we had to serialize application of patches from different
vendors.  It only worked because a human (originally, just me,
later Rod Grimes, then Nate Williams then Jordan Hubbard) first
picked an arbitrary order of application, and then enforced it,
manually resolving the patch conflicts, thus setting the order
in concrete.

If Bill Jolitz had actually been an active maintainer, this would
have melted down fairly quickly from the network effects.  As it
was, it only worked until it hit the scaling wall of the number
of patches that could be serialized through a single point without
real control of the source tree (Linus does this still, with real
control in hand).  The NetBSD breakout was an early effect based
only on control; if they had funneled patches through the serial
number assignment (and thus the topological sort and conflict
resolution process), 386BSD + Patchkit would have survived a lot
longer (IMO -- Bill Jolitz was far from publically active).

In any case, all this means that I think your suggestion on how
to deal with the qmail patches in the face of an intransigent active
maintainer means "instant meltdown".

I personally would not waste my time on it.

-- Terry