[The reference is ancient but I think it's still relevant.]

On Mon, Feb 18, 2002 at 07:15:28PM -0800, Mike Silbersack wrote:
>silby       2002/02/18 19:15:28 PST
>
>  Modified files:
>    sys/kern             kern_fork.c
>  Log:
>  A few misc forkbomb defenses:
>  - Remove the printing of "proc: table full".  When the table
>    really is full, this would flood the screen/logs, making
>    the problem tougher to deal with.

I've bumped into a similar problem when running StarOffice on a system
without _KPOSIX_PRIORITY_SCHEDULING.  It seems that StarOffice likes
calling sched_yield() and doesn't take ENOSYS as a hint.  My syslog
entries showed repeat counts in the high 5-figure region.

It's useful to know that a process wants to use the RT scheduling
functions, but it would be nice if this message could be rate-limited
so that processes that ignore return codes won't flood the console.
I'm not sure how to achieve this - since doing it properly implies
additional per-process state - and I don't think it's important
enough to bloat struct proc.

[I don't have the RT extensions enabled because there was a past thread
about them being susceptable to priority inversion deadlocks - is this
still true].

Peter