On Thu, Jun 06, 2002 at 02:12:32AM -0700, Terry Lambert wrote:

> Why doesn't malloc work to get all the memory it can?  I don't know;
> you would have to petition PHK for an answer as to why, since he is

I honestly doubt it's a problem in phkmalloc :)

> As for topping out at ~2.5G: yes: that's what's expected.  If you
> really need more memory than that, you will need to drop ~US$10K
> on a 64 bit Itanium machine, and petition Peter Wemm for the correct
> dead chicken to wave over the thing.

Just out of curiosity, why to you advocate the Itanium so much? It's, by
far, the worst 64bit arch I've ever seen. Maybe in 3 years or so it will
be used to serious work, until then, you're much better off with a POWER4
or Sparc box, although newer Sun hardware seems to be pretty
disappointing in the engineering department, so go IBM :)

Or he could go the PAE way, and get an x86 box with 8 or 16GB of memory.
However, I don't know how good the support for that in FreeBSD is.

Cheers,
--
        Miguel Mendez - [EMAIL PROTECTED]
        GPG Public Key :: http://energyhq.homeip.net/files/pubkey.txt