:> > Julian got struck by lightning; perhaps he will now stick to disks
:> > with built-in lightning rods (e.g. not succeptible to this failure),
:> > e.g. SCSI.
:>
:> This is an urban ledgend..
:
:No - it's SCSI Specs.
:A SCSI Disk is required to savely finish the started sector even
:on powerloss.
:If all drives fullfill this requirement is another story.
:
:--
:B.Walter              COSMO-Project         http://www.cosmo-project.de

    No, it's an urban legend.  Someone actually buttonholed a Seagate
    engineer a couple of years back and he said with absolute certainty
    that a Seagate drive would lose up to two sectors, but not more
    then that.

    I've had direct experience with this.  Seagate drives will indeed lose
    up to two sectors if you are writing during a power loss... and this
    is *GOOD* for the industry.  Quantum drives (more direct experience
    on my part) have been known to lose whole tracks and even multiple
    tracks.

                                                -Matt