tlambert2> FWIW, I think a floppy image is great.  I have a number of
tlambert2> older systems from which I cannot boot from the CDROM.

That's true, but this project (FreeBSD To Go) employs CD-ROM as their
root filesystem.  It is natual to boot from CD-ROM :-)

tlambert2> It's also desirable from the third party driver
tlambert2> perspective, as long as FreeBSD can load kernel modules of
tlambert2> a CDROM or DOS floppy in a binary format

Loader(8) would help you.

-- -
Makoto `MAR' Matsushita