Thank you for the very clear explanation.  Does there exist a utility to
immediately take a partition that has been growfs'd and "fix" it so that
it does not experience this performance penalty ?

That is, I am willing to sit and wait 10 minutes while some utility
rearranges and reorganizes the unmounted filesystem if it means I don't
have to dump/restore/blah/blah and if it allows me to avoid the
performance penalty you mentioned...

thanks,

PT