I've got a Hercules Game Theatre XP sound card.  It has an external
breakout box and uses a CS4630 chipset.  Just using the pcm device to play
sound produces a lot of crackling and popping.  This is because there are
special drivers for  Windows that control the output of the box.  I've got
the whitepapers(registers,values,etc) for the CS4630, but I'm not sure where
to start to even write a special purpose driver/kernel module for this
device.
   What would be required to write a driver for this device?  I've never done
this before, but that's never stopped me before.  What information do I need
to get from Hercules about the card/box and is there anyone who would be
willing to help me out if even it's just to figure out what information that
I need to get started.

Thanks for any help,

--
Anish Mistry