Leo Bicknell wrote:

> I have a script where I attempt to use Sys::Syslog, and while it
> works on several platforms it does not work on FreeBSD 4.x (well,

I just had this problem a few days ago, the machine it runs on also
uses -s with syslogd (on 4.7-stable). The solution was to use

        use Sys::Syslog qw(:DEFAULT setlogsock);

instead of

        use Sys::Syslog;

and later do a

        setlogsock('unix');

right before the call to openlog().

Syslogd on the machine listens on an "*.syslog" udp4 socket. The machine
is multihomed. The "-s" flag to syslogd is explained as "Do not log
messages from remote machines" - perhaps the perl process is considered
to be remote ?

hellmuth
--
Hellmuth Michaelis        Hamburg, Europe        [EMAIL PROTECTED]        www.kts.org
      There is a difference between an open mind and a hole in the head.