On Wed, 25 Dec 2002 [EMAIL PROTECTED] wrote:

> Quoting Danny Braniss <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>:
>
> > what exactly do you want/need?
> > danny
>
> Sorry, I'll try to get as specific as I can with my currently limited knowledge
> of the FBSD source code.
>
> Basically, I would like to know where I can find information on the nsswitch
> protocol (if that is even such a thing): perhaps a document or standards paper?

Well, here is what I think is needed:

  The ability to load shared libraries like /lib/libnss_ldap.so or
/lib/libnss_winbind.so from within the *pw* and the *gr* calls, under
control of /etc/nsswitch.conf.

My suggestion would be to look at how Linux or Slowaris do this.

My understanding is that the current nsswitch on FreeBSD is hard-coded as
to the places it can look in, so winbindd cannot be used as a backend,
nore can ldap, etc.

I spent some time looking for the interface spec on the web, but could not
find one, although you can infer what it looks like by looking at the
winbind_nss.c code in Samba. I imagine that libc is going to need to be
modified a bit to handle this, but I am only guessing.

Regards
-----