Tim Kientzle wrote:
> I'm slowly tracking down the remaining minor issues with
> my all-static crunchgen-ed /rescue implementation. This
> includes pretty much everything from /bin and /sbin, as
> well as a few useful tools from /usr/bin and /usr/sbin.
>
> However, I've just run into an ugly problem.
>
> Specifically, devd is now written in C++
> (as of a few weeks ago) and crunchgen does
> _not_ play well with C++ programs.
>
> For now, this means that devd will not be in
> /rescue.  I'm not entirely happy about this.
>
> Policy question:  Is C++ considered acceptable in /bin
> and /sbin?  (I presume so, since Warner's doing it.)
>
> Technical Question:  Does anyone know how to get
> crunchgen to play nicely with C++ programs?  (I've
> tried a couple of simple changes to the generated
> makefile with no success.)
>
> Usability Question:  How necessary is devd likely to
> be for people recovering from serious disaster?
> (Imagine that /usr, /bin, and /sbin are all broken.
> Will some people require devd to get a network adapter
> or hot-plug CD-ROM running, for example?)

Personally, I dont think it is a big deal.  /rescue is
for the case where normal system services are hosed and you
want as little running as possible, and the only things that
run are what you specifically run.

I cannot think of anything that devd might do that a sysadmin
who is competent enough to rescue a dead system that doesn't
have /usr mounted couldn't do also.  I'd prefer to run dhclient
by hand anyway thank you.

Cheers,
-Peter
--
Peter Wemm - [EMAIL PROTECTED]; [EMAIL PROTECTED]; [EMAIL PROTECTED]