Josh Brooks wrote:
Thank you for that advice - it is very well taken.

Obviously, my goal is to mitigate as much as possible - I have accepted
that I cannot stop all DDoS - my question is, do serious people ever
attempt to do the mitigation/load shedding with a host-based firewall (in
this case fbsd+ipfw) ?  Or would all serious people interested in
mitigating attacks use an appliance, like a netscreen ?

I will say this - 9/10 attacks that hurt me do not do anything interesting
- in fact they are even low bandwidth (2-3 megabits/s) but they have a
packet/second rate that just eats up all my firewall cpu and no traffic
goes through - and as soon as the attack goes away the firewall is fine.

So, I am looking at putting in more sophisticated traffic shaping
(limiting packets/s from each IP I have) and skipto rules to make the
ruleset more efficient ... but this is going to be a lot of work, and I
want to know if it is all just a waste because no matter how good I get at
a freebsd firewall, a netscreen 10 will always be better ?
That depends on what you're asking of the machine. The routing information that will need to be held is the biggest one I can see, since the netscreens have defined limits. A FreeBSD box, in theory, doesn't have these limitations.