Brian T. Schellenberger wrote:

This to me is imminently sensible.
In fact there seem like two rules that have come up in this discussion:

1. For sequential access, you should be very hesitant to throw away *another* processes blocks, at least once you have used more than, say, 25% of the cache or potential cache.

2. For sequential access, you should stop caching before you throw away your own blocks. If it's sequential it is, it seems to me, always a lose to throw away your *own* processes older bllocks on thee same file.

The question isn't "should I throw away blocks or not?".
Obviously, the ideal is to keep everything in the cache, but
that's not possible.

The question is "what blocks should be discarded?"  You've
ruled out quite a few possibilities here.  What blocks _should_
be discarded?

Tim Kientzle