Hi all,

I've recently acquired a motherboard with a VIA Rhine III onboard NIC.
I couldn't see support for this in the current vr(4) driver in either
-current or -stable and am trying to add support for it.  Having not
done any kernel hacking before I'd appreciate some pointers if someone
would be so kind.

Finding patches like that in
http://www.uwsg.iu.edu/hypermail/linux/kernel/0204.1/0887.html
which added the driver to the Linux kernel simply by adding the chip
id's to their driver, I thought I'd give the same thing a try.  I added
the appropriate code to if_vrreg.h and if_vr.c and the chip now seems
to detect at least partially:

vr0: <VIA VT6105M Rhine III 10/100BaseTX> port 0xd400-0xd4ff mem 0xea001000-0xea0010ff
irq 5 at device 14.0 on pci0
vr0: Ethernet address: 00:40:63:c2:49:3a

However, I then get the dreaded:

vr0: MII without any phy!
device_probe_and_attach: vr0 attach returned 6

This seems to come up a number of times in the archives, but I don't see
an explanation or solution to it.  ENXIO implies the device isn't
configured, yet I'm using GENERIC as my config at the moment and that
has both vr and miibus configured into it.

I would appreciate any pointers anyone can give.  I'm quite prepared to
do more research/hacking, I'd just like a push in the right direction :).

Apologies for not providing a diff for the two files, but all that I've
done is add these two lines to if_vrreg.h:

#define VIA_DEVICEID_RHINE_III          0x3106
#define VIA_DEVICEID_RHINE_III_M        0x3053

(in the VIA Rhine device IDs section) and added these lines to the
vr_devs[] struct in if_vr.c

        { VIA_VENDORID, VIA_DEVICEID_RHINE_III,
                "VIA VT6105 Rhine III 10/100BaseTX" },
        { VIA_VENDORID, VIA_DEVICEID_RHINE_III_M,
                "VIA VT6105M Rhine III 10/100BaseTX" },

I've also found what looks to be good documentation for the chip on the
VIA web site, so I should be able to track down appropriate information
as necessary.

Thanks!

--
Greg Lewis                          Email   : [EMAIL PROTECTED]
Information Technology              FreeBSD : [EMAIL PROTECTED]