Matthew Dillon <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> writes:

>     You can also theoretically push into shadow VM objects to locate
>     pages from the parent process that have not yet been COW'd into the
>     child (in the case of a fork()), noting also that these shadow objects
>     might be shared with other children of the parent and by the parent
>     process itself, but under most conditions this information will not
>     be significant and can be ignored.

   Actually, that's just the sort of thing I'm looking for.  The shared case
may be relatively rare, but it tends to be extreme: the processes that use
the most memory seem to be the ones that fork the most - database servers,
java, etc.  The point of this whole thing is an attempt to limit the memory
use of a user (instead of a process), but I don't want to penalize such
sharing.

>     Any vnode object is always shared with other processes mapping the
>     same vnode.  Since this information is backed by a file, figuring out
>     how much 'memory' it represents by any reasonable definition is
>     guesswork.  The resident page count will represent how much of the
>     vnode is cached, but not how much of the vnode is actually being accessed
>     by the process.

   That's OK - resident count is what I'm interested in.  That, and the swap
approximation (which should suffice) you mentioned for non-vnode objects.

- Jamie