David Schultz wrote:
Thus spake Matthew Dillon <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>:
   I don't understand why these companies don't just
   include sources for their X drivers, it would make life so much easier.

Usually it's because they (wrongly) think it will protect their
trade secrets from competitors.
That's part of it. I don't know what my competitors know, but if they don't know the algorithms we're using, we're not going to make it easy to find out. If they do know, we're not going to make it easy to verify what they do know. (But if they know that we don't know what they do know... yeah, you know the drill. :-)

The other bit is that it can expose some glaring hardware kludges and actual design and implementation errors which can be embarrassing. To an engineer, this is just routine stuff. To a suit, this seems like a death knell.