On Thu, Mar 20, 2003 at 11:18:24AM +0900, Norikatsu Shigemura wrote:
> On Wed, 19 Mar 2003 12:58:27 +0100
> Stijn Hoop <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
> > > Off hand, I'd say this is more of an /etc/rc.local, or /usr/local/etc/rc.d
> > > thing. We haven't really started down the road of what I generically refer
> > > to as "desktop" configuration items in rc.
> > Why *not*? As long as it behaves when run in a system without sound, I don't
> > see any reason to make things easier for users, whether they use the machine
> > as a server or as a desktop.
> > I'd very much like to see (something like) this in the base -- I haven't
> > even looked at these patches but the idea is IMHO worthwhile.
>
>       I think that I don't need it if a little machines requires sound.
>       But I have many machines (mine or not mine) which use sound (or can
>       use it).  I almost hate to install these to /etc/rc.local.  And even
>       I want it, many users want it:-).  Different point from setting
>       /etc/rc.conf is that anyone always check this file, but /etc/rc.local
>       is not so.

Yes, I agree with you. Making a port out of this is imho plain silly, or
is someone actually relying on the mixer being set to a default value on
bootup?

--Stijn

--
"What if everything you see is more than what you see -- the person next to
you is a warrior and the space that appears empty is a secret door to another