Jordan K Hubbard wrote:

Given ample personal experience with this issue, all I can say is that actions speak a lot louder than words where it's concerned. :-)

On Sunday, March 30, 2003, at 11:47 AM, Tim Kientzle wrote:
I've given up trying to argue for a
well-designed package file format.
tar works well enough, I suppose.
(Better than the oft-suggested
'zip' format.  Ugh.)

Yes, people have pointed out to me before
that email does not convey irony at all
well.  I should be more careful about that. <sigh>

As it turns out, Jordan, the major reason I've given up trying to argue for a new format is that I now believe that 'tar' is actually a pretty reasonable choice. (I think that the performance issues that people have complained about can be addressed by improving the pkg_* tool implementations without changing the file format. I've started working on that... ;-)

Tim