On Mon, 23 Jun 2003, Robert Watson wrote:

RW> > Can nodev also be added to all above + /usr?
RW>
RW> nodev prevents opening specfs character devices, but doesn't prevent
RW> opening fifos or UNIX domain sockets, so is generally fine for all file
RW> systems except /dev.  The common exceptions I bump into are:
RW>
RW> (1) If you have per-user chroots, make sure wherever their custom /dev is
RW>     isn't nodev.

Maybe my experience would be useful for the community:

I've successfully use mfs under 4.x for chroot/jailed environment, created via

JDEV=/ar/J/j224/dev
mount_mfs -s 256 -i 768 -o nosuid /dev/ad0s1b ${JDEV} > /dev/null 2>&1
cd ${JDEV}
sh /dev/MAKEDEV std pty0
rm mem kmem pci io klog console
ln -sf null mem