Socketd wrote:
On Tue, 08 Jul 2003 22:51:24 -0700
Terry Lambert <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

Hmm, why not just use a firewall?

Because most firewalls, even commercial ones, don't block the ICMP messages you appear to be interested in blocking.

You appeared to want to turn your FreeBSD box into what's
normally called a "stealth" system: one that doesn't respond
at all to external probe attempts.  So it looked like you
were trying to *write* a firewall, or at least find a set
of rules that would let your FreeBSD box act as a "stealth"
one.

I am mainly trying to hide my firewall/gateway and logserver.
Thank you for your reply, I'll go read a little :-)

Err... contrary to what Terry says, there is an option that prevents FreeBSD from decreasing TTL, thereby making it stealth.

--
Daniel C. Sobral                        (8-DCS)
[EMAIL PROTECTED]

Spellng is overated anywy.