Changing a file, of course, results in a change to its modification time. Am I correct in determining that the mtime of the enclosing directory is also updated?

The reason I'm asking this is because I need to be able to determine if any file has changed within a directory from a shell script, Perl, or Python. All I need to know is if at least one file has changed. I don't need to find all such files. [Sidelight: anyone know how, if possible, to stop find after finding one file? I can't figure this one out alone.]

My initial solution was to use 'find' to find any files newer than a marker file. However, I believe I've determined that the mtime of enclosing directories also changes to reflect the last file that was updated within its hierarchy. So, it makes sense that I simply check the directory that contains the marker file.

Thanks,

Alex