> What makes this system unusual is that it is “legacy free”

....and thereby it doesn't have a keyboard controller at all.  The system
is hanging on boot looking for the keyboard controller itself and not
finding one, since it doesn't exist.

If someone else is familar enough with the workaround for this issue, and
can post it, I could make the changes and build an ISO for you, probably,
though my free time for such at the moment is limited.

Thank you David.

As you surmised, my BIOS does not have the keyboard emulation mode you mention.

Before I ask you to build the kernel for me, I'll try to round up a more convertional computer and try to do it myself. Based upon this (and the other) reply, the key seems to be to compile without any legacy keyboard I/O, to prevent the hang.

Let me know if your developers have any further suggestions or if anyone has specific tips to help a newbie achive the kernel build.

Thor