Paul Robinson <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> writes:
> Understood. I just think saying "let's get rid of floppies" is
> shooting a dog that happens to be near to hand because you don't like
> that dog, to stretch the analogy.

I don't think you have any idea how difficult it is (and has been for
a couple of years now) just to keep the install floppies alive.  The
kernel keeps growing, and the amount of "must-have" features (such as
acpi) keeps growing, and every time the boot floppies overflow we have
to toss out yet another driver that about a dozen people vehemently
tell us they can't live without.

To rephrase this in terms of your analogy, the dog was hit by a bus
two years ago and has been on artificial life support ever since, and
it's starting to dawn on us that we can no longer afford the hospital
bill.

DES
--
Dag-Erling Smørgrav - [EMAIL PROTECTED]