Ruslan Ermilov wrote:
On Fri, Jan 16, 2004 at 05:23:01PM -0800, Tim Kientzle wrote:

Question:  Does anyone know the difference between
__restrict and __restrict__?

__restrict__ is the gcc(1)-only feature. __restrict is defined in <sys/cdefs.h>, it's the FreeBSD feature.

A-ha! That's the part I had missed. After a few experiments with gcc -dM -E, I've convinced myself that this is just another GCC bug. Basically, -std=c99 -ansi seems to be a very bad compination, as -std=c99 defines __STDC_VERSION__ to be 199901L and -ansi then turns off compiler support for c99 features. Ugh.

Should we be using the latter in our system headers?

No, we should be using the __restrict as coded. But I wonder why we can't just use "restrict"...

Because that would really mess up any user program that used 'restrict' as a variable or function name. I think the current approach is the best.

Thanks for the clarification.  I'll go crawl back under
my nice, comfortable rock now.

Tim