In article <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> you write:

>Ok so I have an application where I need to
>reread a file I have just written to ensure that it went to disk
>correctly..
>
>Other than reading a few GB of data, is there a way to flush
>out the cache copy of a file I've written?

You can flush the file to disk with fsync().  But I don't think that
evicts the blocks from the cache, just forces them to be written.  To
the disk controller's cache, if you're lucky.

>possibilities include:
>
>a file flag saying "don't keep a copy after it's written to disk"?
>a syscall discard_cached_blocks(fd);
>

>?
>any other suggestions?

What are you hoping to accomplish?  There are probably other ways
to solve the larger problem.

--
Steve Watt KD6GGD  PP-ASEL-IA          ICBM: 121W 56' 57.8" / 37N 20' 14.9"
 Internet: steve @ Watt.COM                         Whois: SW32