On Sat, Apr 24, 2004 at 01:14:26PM -0500, Mike Silbersack wrote:

> On Sat, 24 Apr 2004, GiZmen wrote:
>
> > Hello,
> >
> > I am runnign freebsd 5.2.1 on 386 arch with two rl lan cards. My mainboard
> > is on VIA KT 266A with AMD athlon 1.1.
> > I read man polling and i have HZ=1000. My problem is that when i set up
> > sysctl variable kern.polling.enable=1 my interrupts greatly increase.
> > When my system is idle and indicate 0-1% interrupts with out polling.
> > and when i turn on polling interrupts goes up to about 20% on idle system.
> > Is it normal ? I never before use polling and i  dont know that i have
> > something bad in my system ?
> >
> > Can somebody explain me this ?
> >
> > thx
> > --
> > Best Regards:
> >             GiZmen
>
> Ruslan can probably jump in and give you a better explanation than I can,
> but I'll try to provide a quick answer.  In short, the rl cards + driver
> are not well suited to polling and will not work well with it enabled.
> Support for polling on rl may in fact be removed as a result of this.

Well, basically, 8139's TX/RX engine is just not worth for use with
polling(4).  Now that we have per-interface polling(4) controls, I
suggest that we leave it _disabled_ for rl(4) by default.  My tests
have shown that I could only get a comparable throughput with rl(4)
given HZ=5000, which is *ahem* quite large to be really useful.

Cheers,
--
Ruslan Ermilov
[EMAIL PROTECTED]