Per Engelbrecht wrote:
There is no upper limit.

ok.

great. got that.

do know that 128 addresses isn't a problem - depending of course
on your setup such as ram, cpu, board and last but not least,
nic. Don't do it on a $20 nomame-nic.

It doesn't make any difference to the NIC.

Well I understand it's just a linked list with aprox 128 nodes. That should be OK on decent RAM and CPU.

Correct me if I'm wrong, but addresses to a interface is 'managed'
by SIOCAIFADDR and yes, that has noting to do with the nic itself.

They have nothing to do with NICs, they have to do with OS implementation.

NICs talk on ethernet level, and I don't know any NIC's designed with special hardware for handling IP aliases. Intel's FXPs rule, because they even do CRC and QoS with microchip:).

Probably his point was no-name hardware with small buffers may add to the latency.

Thank you all so much!

Best Wishes,
--
Alin-Adrian Anton