Mikhail P. wrote:
On Sunday 10 October 2004 23:30, Mikhail P. wrote:

On Saturday 09 October 2004 17:01, Mikhail P. wrote:

I also got another message off-list, where author suggested to play with
UDMA values. I switched from UDMA100 to UDMA66. System's uptime is 12
hours, and no timeouts so far.. but I'm quite sure they will get back in
few days.

1.5 days of uptime, running in UDMA66 changes nothing. Still getting

Well, now those timeouts popped up on 5.3-BETA7 system with 4 IDE drives.. They start appearing with high disk activity.
System had FreeBSD-4.7 prior to that, and has been rock solid for almost a year. Drives have no problems, that's for sure (4.7 did not show up any timeouts, with uptime for months)..

I don't know what to think - is ATA driver horribly broken in 5.x?

Well, thats not up to me to judge I guess, but have you tried to change the tripping point for using 48Bit addressing as I suggested earlier ?
I cant reproduce this problem with any of the shelfmeters of ATA gear I have here, so your help is needed or it will stay horribly broken :)

--

-Søren