[EMAIL PROTECTED] wrote:

I've done a little testing under various loads. The driver switches
chip to store and forward mode soon during initial use after attaching
(I also get few messages about watchdog timeouts together with "increasing TX threshold"). But it seems to work OK.
I haven't done any serious performance testing (maximum speed it
could reach was ~ 5Mb/s on 100baseTX/FD) nor attach/detach tests.

That sounds about right. I don't have time to figure out a patch, since I've not figured out if_de's quirk handling, but you may want to try treating this card like a Cobalt Networks. I'm presuming (haven't watched the thread that closely) that it's a straight MII versus Cobalt's MII-on-SIO.

<>I don't see a way how it could break other cards' functionality - should be no concerns here

D-Link isn't the only 0x00a8; The AboCom FE2500MX bears 0x13d1 0xab08.

I don't see a real reson not to use more complete description. There are few resons to
use it:

0. More info is _always_ better. In any case, the message will take 2 lines on console, so shortening the description will not gain anything

Yes, it does. It gains readability. Long descriptions should generally be reserved for pciconf -lv and driver comments. The AL985C as found on the D-Link PCM200 should be identical to the AboCom FE2500MX. (The only difference I've seen between the two is that the FE2500MX has AboCom's VendorID. Also; AboCom makes an AL985C called the PCM200. Draw your own conclusions.)

<>1. the description in `pciconf -lv` does not show card's version and chipset

No, it doesn't, and really shouldn't. The revision is read from card SROM or set in the RevID, e.g. 0x03 or 0xa3, etcetera.

<>2. when PCI IDs for previous card versions will be added, the description will
need to be changed anyway to include the version number

Only because D-Link has a 'change everything except the model name' fetish. Unless D-Link pulled the same crap they did with the DWL-520 and DWL-650, personally I don't see any compelling reason to include chipset and revision in the dev's desc. Now, if D-Link pulled the same crap on this as they did with the DWL-520, I'd say just slap Rev.D in there; there's no need for chipset name, and it's enough to differentiate from Rev.C1 which uses some other chipset.

But hey, just my $0.02USD (or ~$0.0158247EUR at current exchange rates.)

-ksaihr