Anaconda is also GPLed and also requires a good few changes for most of it to run under FreeBSD. I haven't made any of these changes, but we looked into using Anaconda in DragonFly before we started on our own installer, and it would have just been too much work for the deadline we had (our 1.0 installer was written in less than 3 months!). Yes, it is in Python, but all the VESA stuff is via framebuffer, not an X server, so it's not something that we could use easily. At least, this was the case when I researched it in May. Anything GPL probably won't qualify in the first place, due to obvious license incompatibilities.

Sorry for going off on a tangent -and pl ignore if its annoying:-
Can someone elaborate on the impact of GPL if one is to use lGPL'ed code without modifying it. i.e. if the kernel or library is GPL'ed and a module is developed on top of it and sold, does the GPL require one to give out the src code for the developed module too?

thansks
-kamal