Bram Van Steenlandt wrote:
Julian Elischer wrote:

Brooks Davis wrote:

On Fri, Jan 21, 2005 at 10:46:21AM +0100, Bram Van Steenlandt wrote:

Hi

For a pos system I am working on I need support for two keyboards (actually one keyboard(ps/2) and one scanner(usb)).

I call the scanner a keyboard because that is the way it acts when you connect it

then the ukbd driver should handle it.. have you tried it?

I've read a previous post and there it was supposed that one should write a driver to accomplish this.
I am not a C programmer and know far to little from FreeBSD to accomplish this.

So I ask you, Isn't there a much easier way (other operating systems seem to have no problem with this)?

Other OSes have the intrastructure to support multiple keyboards. We don't have one piece of that, the many to one keyboard mux.

But that's probably not what he wants..
He probably doesn't want data from the scanner (bar code?) intermixed randomly
with the data from the keyboard..

He just needs to read the device separatly.

Not really because it always has to be possible to type a code manually I've programmed it so that barcode must always start with F2 and end with RETURN

Scanners can be programmed to give this kind of header and terminator.

So I don't mind if it comes in all together, It would be nice if I can know wich device gives the data but not absolutely needed.

For the moment the scanner is attached on ps/2 with a passtrough cable to the keyboard, this works ok but shift and more of those things tend to be a problem.
Also I must adjust the send speed of the scanner because it might otherwise happen that the computer doesn't get the intire code.

Also we use a lot of macs and (no ps/2) I would like it if the scanners are usable on freebsd and mac.

I'm no expert but can't someone port the macos x driver for this (darwin is open source and it is also a BSD) ??