Hi again,

I have two Seagate SCSI drives 36GB and 8GB RAM and installed 5.3-REL with
PAE and SMP support.
Now the problem arises that the system hangs under heavy load and there
are no error messages nothing. I have to hard boot it everytime it hangs.

Then I tried with only SMP and the machine still hangs. I tried using New memory and a Maxtor 36Gb SCSI drive , still hangs but was up for longer perios 13hrs..
Any one know about this problem.
Alos tried with 5.4-Prerelease same results.
Any help would be great,

Scott any help.

Thanks
Aman
Rojer wrote:

Amandeep Pannu wrote:

Hi all,

I have two Seagate SCSI drives 36GB and 8GB RAM and installed 5.3-REL with
PAE and SMP support.
Now the problem arises that the system hangs under heavy load and there
are no error messages nothing. I have to hard boot it everytime it hangs.

Roger Comments:

PAE must have something to do with this.
i have similar reports from fellow admins (they run large free mail service):
machines with lots (4+ gigs) of memory, 5.3R, SMP and PAE enabled just refused to cooperate,
freezing and crashing all the way under load.
sadly, having no time to dive into gory details,
they just installed Linux on those and all has been going well since that...
the point is: PAE and large memory configurations in general need more testing.