Sam Leffler wrote:
Joerg Sonnenberger wrote:

On Sat, Apr 02, 2005 at 12:16:35PM -0500, Brian Reichert wrote:

In perusing many of these cards specs, I see many of them offer a
'turbo mode' of 108 Mbps.

That's a vendor-specific mode. I strongly advice you _against_ using it, it's using at least one additional channel and only adds speed for very short distances. If you follow the common recommendation of leaving one channel before and after the active channel, you end up using at least 5 channels for turbo mode compared to three for normal, it's not worth the trouble.

This is misleading. First turbo mode can only be used in the 2.4G band on channel 6 and does not impact operation on channels 1 and 11. Any channels in between already suffer from normal (i.e. non-turbo) use because the channel spread in the 2.4 band means traffic is visible if you use the in-between channels. Further, turbo mode (as part of SuperG) requires that the AP detect non-turbo capable stations and disable turbo use when such stations are present.

I was wrong; turbo mode requires a 40Mhz wide band so when operating on channel 6 it'll splatter 1 and 11. Regardless, compliant AP's are supposed to monitor the air and drop out of turbo if non-turbo traffic is detected. This is part of the Dynamic Turbo component of SuperG and happens transparently to SuperG stations.

        Sam