On 4/13/05, Steve Watt <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
> In article <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> you write:

> >> Why do you set  mac address static at all ?
> >
> >Huh? I dont understand what youre saying.
>
> He's wondering why ARP doesn't just work.
>
> >The only command I typed was arp -s 10.0.0.1 00:0b:23:2a:b0:c4 , which
> >creates the arp address I should want. (my modems mac address is
> >00:0b:etc)
> >
> >The only thing I can possibly seeing as being screwed up, is seeing as
> >I have a default gateway, when I do a "telnet 10.0.0.1" its using my
> >internet gateway instead of the ed0 device.  Which is why I thought I
> >needed a route command to force a 10.0.0.1 connection to go through
> >ed0. (linux needed the route command...)
> >
> >Oh well, Ive probably confused you, and myself as well. :-)
>
> I think you're trying to over-complexify the problem.  All
> you really need to do is:
>
> # ifconfig ed0 alias 10.0.0.2/24
> # telnet 10.0.0.1
>
> No silly route commands, no forcing of ARP.  Just add the IP
> address to the interface and do your connect.  My guess is
> that the same is true in Linux, but I don't know the exact
> syntax there.

Because that just doesnt work, like ive mentioned above, I have to
force a different MAC address into the ARP table.

http://www.dslreports.com/faq/9693  is what im trying to accomplish.

su-2.05b# ifconfig ed0 alias 10.0.0.2/24
su-2.05b# telnet 10.0.0.1
Trying 10.0.0.1...
^C
su-2.05b# arp -s 10.0.0.1 00:0b:23:2a:b0:c4
su-2.05b# telnet 10.0.0.1
Trying 10.0.0.1...
^C

oh well, I thank all you guys for trying to help, its just not
working, and Im not going to waste any more of your guys time on it.

Great to see helpful people in the mailing list, so Im going to stick
around. :-)

And for the record, the linux commands are: (and these commands work,
as Ive used it for months in this setup):

ifconfig eth1 10.0.0.2 netmask 255.255.255.0
route add 10.0.0.1 dev eth1
arp -s 10.0.0.1 000b232ab0c4

Mark