Kris Kennaway wrote:
On Mon, May 02, 2005 at 03:38:49AM +0100, Steven Hartland wrote:

Why would FS's be being corrupted by "shutdown -p now" where
as "reboot" doesnt seem to?

Maybe the machine is being powered down before your disks have
finished writing their data to disk.

My ThinkPad has done this several times. It normally boots, but complains that filesystems aren't clean. I can't reliably reproduce it.
As I'm not normally beating on the disk before I power it off, I can't see that it wouldn't have time to write the data. (The buffer counts are always less than 5).

It didn't do this on the mid-feb. stable I was running until recently.
Kris