Hi,

Sydney Hole & Owen Huffaker wrote:

Wonder if you can give me a little advise.

But not much more.

I do have a copy of BSD 4.5 and 5.o from a FreeBSD Unleashed book by Michael
Urban and Brian Tieman.  I also have the absolute BSD by Michael Lucas.

I would not touch them as they are really old.

Can you download either 4.11 or 5.4, burn a CD and start from scratch?

It would save you a lot of time as the original disk is dead anyway.

All you could do is a copying the rescuded data over after the systems works again.

I expect that it would be hard to find help here for older versions of FreeBSD.

It should not be a problem to run the new versions on old hardware. Friends of mine do this all the time without any serious problems.

Erich