Christoph Hellwig wrote:

On Mon, Jun 13, 2005 at 10:50:26AM -0700, Julian Elischer wrote:

Several times in the past we've seen people complainign that Linux allows a device driver to know who called it and somehow it seems to store somewhere some information about who openned the device.. thos somehow allows linux to store an arbitrary structure for each openning process. I thin from the sond of it that he wants to do something similar. From the sond of it he wants to have a different buffer be used depending on who is calling. This would partly work but would not work when processes fork etc.

I think Linux must do some extra housekeeping in this case.

What Linux does is pretty simple.  The driver has access to the file
structure, and this structure has a field for driver private data.
It can store private data in open and free it again in the release
callback.

How does linux handle the implications of fork(2) in this scenario?

Scott