On Sat, Jun 18, 2005 at 02:35:20PM +0200, Dimitry Andric wrote:
> > We've got a FreeBSD 5.2.1-RELEASE-p1 server that's been up for 460
> > days now, with pretty heavy use the whole time (70GB+ per day http
> > traffic, 140 hits/sec, etc).
>
> Funny that some people insist on complaining about 5.x instability. :P

There were always two things I would recommend waiting for before moving
to 5.x:
        1. Performance. I remember reading the after 5.0's release, much
                 debugging code was still in the OS and kernel which would
reduce
                 performance.
  2. Stability. After 5.0 came out, most production environments were
                 advised not to upgrade or put 5.x out, as we know there were
                 probably many obscure bugs still present and trying to be
worked
                 out.

(2) was put to rest when -STABLE was branched, but I never heard that
(1) was dealt with. I assume it was but it would be nice to be sure :-)

--
Avleen Vig
Systems Administrator

Screams are expressions of pure joy & fulfillment when extracted in the
proper manner.