Gary Jennejohn wrote:
Borja Marcos writes:

Søren Schmidt writes:
I think this will need to be tailored to the exact type of "mishap" one wants to protect against.

I think that the main purpose of the shock detection system is to allow data to be recovered from the disk in case the laptop is broken. By parking the heads asap you can avoid damaging the plates with the head.

At least that's what I read. The disk won't be necessary usable after being dropped, but at least the plates should be readable.

In that case, priority number one would be a fast parking of the head. However, it could lead to a worst-case data loss with softupdates and the disk cache, isn't it?

It seems to me that the worst-case scenario, dropping the laptop,
would result in extremely high G-loading in microsecomds rather than
milliseconds. Not much can be done to save the disk in such a short
time.

The idea is for the laptop to recognize when it has begun a fall or other sudden change in acceleration, so it parks the heads well before impact time.

A scenario where the user bumps the laptop while in use might be
helped, though.

Eric