On 9/7/05, Pranav Peshwe <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

> Hello,
> I am a final year CS student and wish to do a project in the
> FBSD kernel or networking domains.
> I am a part of a project group of four and we have the project as a part
> of syllabus for the final year.
>
> Ideas we could think of were :
>
> 1) Dynamically Configurable IO schedulers and scheduling policy.
> - similar to the project mentioned on the SOC page for FBSD.
> 2) Creating a program which would save the state of the kernel at
> some instant.Then if the kernel panics,the saved state will be restored.
> Especially useful for kernel level development which can cause frequent
> panics.

 Its difficult or impossible to save the state of the kernel and restore the
shadow copy. Its probably easier to save the state of a user program instead
and restore it should the process dump core. Q to you:- what do you plan to
do when saved copy of kernel contains information of a process that exited
after copy was saved but before the kernel panic'ed required to be restored?

  regards
-kamal