On 09-Sep-05, at 5:43 PM, Sergey Babkin wrote:

From: Mike Silbersack <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>

On Fri, 9 Sep 2005, Kamal R. Prasad wrote:

would a port of JFS2 be of interest to freebsd core?
thanks
-kamal

There are many things that would be of interest to FreeBSD users, but
that's not a good reason to start a project. If you're motivated only because you think others desire your work, you'll probably give up when you have to start dealing with all the realities of the project. However, if you're motivated because *you* want to port JFS2, then you'll probably
do a good job of it.

I want to make a freebsd port of JFS2. The source code is available at
http://jfs.sourceforge.net/
The reasons are academic and I have no reason to suggest that people stop using ufs.

So, of course support for new filesystem support is good, but my personal
opinion is that JFS2 isn't worth your time, for two reasons:

a)  Even if it's BSD licensed, it's unlikely to displace UFS as our
default filesystem.

The license is not a BSD license -and for those who are interested - it reads as follows:-

/*
*   Copyright (c) International Business Machines Corp., 2000-2002
*   Portions Copyright (c) Christoph Hellwig, 2001-2002
*
* This program is free software; you can redistribute it and/or modify
*   it under the terms of the GNU General Public License as published by
*   the Free Software Foundation; either version 2 of the License, or
*   (at your option) any later version.
*
*   This program is distributed in the hope that it will be useful,
*   but WITHOUT ANY WARRANTY;  without even the implied warranty of
*   MERCHANTABILITY or FITNESS FOR A PARTICULAR PURPOSE.  See
*   the GNU General Public License for more details.
*
*   You should have received a copy of the GNU General Public License
*   along with this program;  if not, write to the Free Software
* Foundation, Inc., 59 Temple Place, Suite 330, Boston, MA 02111-1307 USA
*/

b) It's not a widely used filesystem, so it doesn't really increase our
interoperability with other OSes.

I will make it a seperate module (which is how it exists in linux). It may not be appropriate to be used as a boot filesystem. If someone from freebsd is interested in reviewing the port -pl. let me know.

thanks
-kamal
.
OTOH, updating our ext2 code, or ntfs code (if that's even possible) would
be something of use to many people, I suspect.

Why not go for ext3 instead of JFS then? It has
journaling in it.

-SB

Kamal R. Prasad
UNIX systems consultant