I'm looking for some tips on how to troubleshoot a possible driver problem. Here is the scenario:

1. Using a Pentium II 333Mhz mobile processor, 82443BX motherboard, and Intel i82559 NIC (fxp driver).

2. A combination of heavy disk I/O, high CPU utilization, and high network traffic causes a solid machine freeze-up sometime between 10 minutes and 3 hours of running.

3. Replacing the NIC with a DP83815-based card (sis driver) seems to solve the problem. I have run the problem load for up to 8 hours without issue on this NIC.

4. The problem is reproducable on multiple identical machines with multiple identical NICs. Also reproducable on an i82558 NIC integrated on the motherboard.

How can I go about collecting useful information to troubleshoot this when the machine locks solid? How can a get a core under this scenario?

Switching to another NIC permanently is not a great solution because this is a semi-embedded application and I need to use the NIC on the motherboard.

Thanks,
David Madole