On 28/10/2005, at 22:48, Peter Jeremy wrote:

On Fri, 2005-Oct-28 12:45:27 -0400, Mikhail Teterin wrote:

No, just checked -- the hw.ata.wc is set to 1. Is there anything else to look
at?
That exhausts my ideas, sorry. Sören might be able to suggest something.

Not really, however I have no experience with Hitachi drives, I havn't trusted that line of drives since their name was IBM Deathstar DTLA series :/

According to smartctl, the drive runs at 56C during the copying. Its
idle temperature seems to be 54C.

It sure feels hot to the touch, but nothing is burning,

A rule-of-thumb is that you can hold your finger on something for 4
seconds then it is 45°C (or less).

this model's 'Ambient Temperature' spec is 5 to 55C...

It's unlikely to affect I/O performance (though it may increase the
number of thermal re-calibrations) but it will definitely shorten the
drive life.

Indeed, 55C is way to high for 24/7 usage, and it might be that the drive is choking on it and barely is able to compensate.. What does SMART say ? any unusual like high correction rates or anything ?

Søren Schmidt
[EMAIL PROTECTED]