Robert Watson wrote:

On Sun, 2 Oct 2005, Koen Martens wrote:

kernel trap 12 with interrupts disabled

cpuid = 1; apic id = 06
fault virtual address   = 0x24
fault code              = supervisor read, page not present
instruction pointer     = 0x8:0xc051c253
stack pointer           = 0x10:0xe93efb3c
frame pointer           = 0x10:0xe93efb50
code segment            = base 0x0, limit 0xfffff, type 0x1b
                       = DPL 0, pres 1, def32 1, gran 1
processor eflags        = resume, IOPL = 0
current process         = 6092 (postgres)

And that, that is all.. No ddb> no 'dumping xxxxMB', just that. So basically, i fear this is a non-debugable problem, since putting in witness and such slows the kernel to a point where the panic does not occur anymore (at least, not in the 4 weeks i've been running the box with witness & invariants). Clueless :)

This looks like a NULL pointer dereference in kernel code. Probably, this is not a locking problem, so running without WITNESS to debug this should be OK. Are you using a serial console? If not, you might find that it increases the reliability of entering DDB. If this box is an SMP box, you may also want to add options KDB_STOP_NMI to your kernel config.

Using gdb, could you work out what function 0xc051c253 is, and where in the function. You should be able to run gdb on your kernel.debug (or kernel on 7.x), and use "l *0xc051c253" to generate a pointer to the line and snippet, which will give us a substantial hint about what is happening.

Sorry for not getting back on this timely, have had rather a busy period
(lousy excuse, i know). Anyway, I have currently downgraded the machine
to a 5.3-RELEASE-p22 kernel, which seems to have solved the problem.
There are no panics anymore (it has been two weeks since the downgrade).
Makes me a bit warry about upgrading anything to 6.x :)

Anyway, i did get into the ddb prompt on one of the last panics, and put
some of the resources online:

http://www.sonologic.nl/fbsd/

As you can see, i was pretty clueless about what to do, and just traced
about everything that was not swapped out..

Did not put the core dump online, as i don't feel like sharing that with
the world. Available upon request though for those who want to get a
crack at this.

I don't have a copy of the kernel.debug lying around, for which I
apologise. I cannot however upgrade to 5.4 again, we've had enought
trouble with this machine and the user load on that machine has
increased to a point where i cannot afford these random panics anymore.
I don't have the spare identical hardware lying around at this point to
copy the entire setup for testing purposes..

What i will try when i find some time is doing incremental upgrades from
5.3-RELEASE-p22 to 5.4-RELEASE-p6, step by step, to see what patchlevel
introduces the problem.

Best,

Koen