On Mon, 21 Nov 2005, Maxime Henrion wrote:

Albert Vest wrote:
On Sat, 19 Nov 2005 01:58:25 +0200 (EET)
Vladimir Kushnir <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

Hi all,
Is there any project on FreeBSD wrapper for ATI Linux drivers (like
nVidia's used to be)? If so - I'd be more than happy to test (sorry I can
hardly write it myself).

Regards,
Vladimir

I too would welcome this, mainly for ATI sound but also for video.

I see the x11/nvidia-driver port can still be built with LINUX compatibility turned on;
maybe if we "make extract" with LINUX=yes, the source code will contain some
hints to how it can be done?

The Linux compatibility in the nvidia-driver has nothing to do with a
wrapper to run Linux drivers; nVidia releases a build of this driver for
FreeBSD.  The Linux compatibility option is here to install nVidia's
Linux OpenGL libraries so that Linux binaries can run with FreeBSD's
driver.  This is possible because nVidia's OpenGL libraries communicate
with the driver by using /dev/nvidia and the FreeBSD driver offers the
same interface.  In short, there is no easy way to use the ATI drivers
for Linux under FreeBSD.

True, but before they've started releasing them there was a wrapper in ports which used the Linux driver (and I think that was what motivated nVidia to release FreeBSD drivers). I just thought might be somebody who knows better than myself woud feel interested enough to write a similar wrapper for ATI drivers (which could eventualy stir them towards the same direction as nVidia). It looks I was wrong. A pity.

Regards,
Vladimir