Nate Lawson wrote:
Scott Long wrote:
Eric Anderson wrote:

Nate Lawson wrote:
Agree 100%. While having it in usermode means there are boundary crossings that increase per-transaction latency, the actual bulk data transfer is via zero-copy IO and you should be able to exceed the data transfer rates of several 10K RPM drives on decent hardware.

Ok, great.. Now, will scsi_target work ok with raw devices, or only files? (although I'm not sure theres all that much difference really).

You can write your userland code to use whatever files or devices you
want.  Are you talking about the scs_target.c code in
/usr/share/examples?  That's just a skeletal example that you can use
as a starting point for your own work.

No, it's not just a skeletal example. You can point it at a raw device as the backing store file and it will work as a block device (i.e. RBC command set). It has been tested as working at least moderately fast over SCSI, FC, and firewire.

I'm finally getting around to playing with this, and I'm having some problems. First, I can't seem to make one isp card in target mode and the other an initiator. I've messed with adding the following to loader.conf:

hint.isp.0.role="initiator"
hint.isp.1.role="target"

that still doesn't show my currently connected fiber channel devices on the initiator side.

I've tried a few different kernel options, currently I have:

options         ISP_TARGET_MODE=1
device          targ

I've also tried just:

options         ISP_TARGET_MODE

and that doesn't seem to allow me to select one either.

Anyhow, I've compiled scsi_target (from /usr/share/examples/scsi_target), and tried to run it using a 20gb file as the target, and still I can't seem to get it working.
Is there a doc somewhere I need to read?

Also - as a side note, the Makefile for scsi_target seems like it's missing a path variable in order to do a make install, but that's not a real issue.

Thanks!
Eric