Ceri Davies wrote:
On Fri, Apr 07, 2006 at 03:57:42PM -0700, Brooks Davis wrote:

On Fri, Apr 07, 2006 at 11:53:42PM +0100, Ceri Davies wrote:

I'm trying to configure a bootable image to be used in various situations
and on various (mostly unknown) hardware.

For the filesystem I can use geom_label and /dev/ufs/UnlikelyString, but I'd
also like to have it try to configure whatever interfaces the machine
happens to have via DHCP.

Other than specifying ifconfig_<if>0="DHCP" once for every possible value of
<if>, is there a mechanism to do this already?

ifconfig_DEFAULT

Superb, thank you!

If you have non-Ethernet-like interfaces compiled in, you will probably
want create empty "ifconfig_<if>" variables for them since DHCP won't
work very well there. :)

Good point, thanks again :)

Ceri

Well, the real question is why we force the details of driver names onto users. Network and storage drivers are especially guilty of this, but
tty devices also are annoying.

Scott