I think at this point it's been pretty well established that:

- Device naming and unit numbering is not stable enough to avoid breakage across hardware changes. - There is a need for generic and/or descriptive interface naming independent of driver- and probe-order-based naming. - There are static bits of information available about each device in the system that can be used to locate a specific device that would be sufficient to allow assignment of a network configuration to a physical device, not it's attached name.

If I were to write an rc.d script to use descriptive network interface names and wire configs to static hardware identification, would there be support for such a feature?