Hi Gareth,
Did you try to disable the console screensaver?
Sometimes this helps.

Message: 1
Date: Tue, 18 Jul 2006 13:17:32 +0100
From: Gareth McCaughan <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: "swiN: clock sio" process taking 75% CPU
To: freebsd-hackers@freebsd.org

(I've asked this question on -questions and -stable, with no success;
hence I'm taking it to the assembled wizardry of -hackers. A bit of
googling suggests that I'm far from the first person to have had a
similar problem, though it seems to be worse for me than for the
others I've found.)

I have a box running 6-STABLE, cvsupped last week.
Until recently it was running 5.something and showed
the same peculiar behaviour as I'm about to describe.
Further back, it used to run 4.x, and I don't recall
anything like this happening then.

About 6 minutes after booting (on three occasions, but I
don't guarantee this doesn't vary), a process (well, a
kernel interrupt thread, I guess) that appears in the
output of "ps" as "[swi4: clock sio]" begins to use
about 3/4 of the machine's CPU. I think it does so
more or less instantaneously. It continues to do so
indefinitely, so far as I can tell.

I'm not aware of anything specific that triggers this,
though I suppose there must *be* something. It happens
apparently spontaneously, on a lightly loaded machine.

Those cycles are genuinely being consumed; other processes
run much more slowly than they "should", and take much more
wall time than CPU time.

I've tried diddling my kernel's HZ value; the behaviour
with HZ=100 and with HZ=1000 is the same, so far as I'm
able to tell. I've no idea whether it might be relevant,
but I have option DEVICE_POLLING turned on; toggling
sysctl kern.polling.enable doesn't seem to make any
difference.

The machine is a very uninteresting single-CPU Athlon box,
clocked at 1.6GHz, several years old. Here's its dmesg output,
with a few uninteresting bits of information leakage elided.

--
victor cruceru